From American Screwballs to Swedish Meatball...this is life

The 20th of May came rather quick, but here I am in Sweden exploring a new way of life and having much of a culture shock. I decided to make a blog upon my handome Father's request. Most people blog about things they see, but I feel like I might be better at expressing what the hell goes through my head as I explore this beautiful foreign country. So just warning you b4 you read...this is not rated PG, but I would love for you to jump on my bike and enjoy the ride of a life time!

My sister and I in Old Town Stockholm

My sister and I in Old Town Stockholm
The BEST Swedish girl around

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

“So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.” -W.Clement Stone

So, this is my FIRST blog ever in life, but as I have experienced before "there is a first time for everything" so stay with me! For starters, I get alot going in my head and forget how to spell, punctuation, and everything else. It is not because I skipped the first grade, I just get my thoughts going in my head...and drill the keyboard.

So for starters, the plane ride was long... first I went on a plane about the size of a "smart car" with 100 people in it to Houston. Not a good idea for airlines to try this. None the less I made it to Houston. Hopped on a plane to Amsterdam, Holland. Sat for 9 hours, ate some dinner, had some water, accidently threw away the cookies they gave me...ughh! Landed in Holland. HUGEEE airport. People speaking every language possible, and all I wanted to know was where the rest rooms were. Found them, then slept on the floor until my flight. Got to Sweden where it was 60 degrees out...met my "mom" Karin, and my "sister" My (pronounced Me).

The first few days have been nice, but kind of rough too. I mean my entire life I have spent telling dumb jokes, making up funny scenarios in my head, watching people so I can make fun of them later, making teeth out of lemon peels...and here I am...looking and listening to people that dont speak my language. I dont have any friends yet accept the 6 kids that live in the house I am staying in. My family is great by the way. I think staying with a family is so much better than having my own place, because the whole idea of coming here is to experience something I have never done. I hear the language all day long, I see their culture, plus I have never been a big sister.

I do not have any friends, but I am ok with that, I think that spending time by myself has been sad sometimes, but great other times. The other American's name is Kristen. She is from Texas too, and played for St. Edwards in Austin. She is 25. Really cool girl.

Everyone here rides bikes. Right now my bike has a flat, so I am using my mom's bike...she is alot taller than me, so I pretty much look like I have some sort of down syndrome or retardation when I stop or get back on. It's pretty awesome! haha.

Enkoping is the town I live in... I guess I should have told ya'll that way earlier. It is nice, small, but gorgeous. It is pronounced Ean-shopping-which means one town where people come together and trade, and do business...which is how this town and most Swedish towns started. Now it is industrialized and big! (well big to them)

The smallest girl is 5, and her name is Luisa, but she goes by Lisa...she doesnt speak english, but she loves me. I enjoy being her big sister. Today she locked both of us in the bathroom with the lights off so that I would see her glow-in-the-dark shirt. haha pretty fun. I have taught her some english words, but she really likes saying "hi Shannon" even when im not in the room. She's five, if it makes her happy, let her do it. We had ice cream and watched the hangover tonight with the family. It was fun! I laughed the entire time as ya'll would expect.

I have learned a few words which I will share with yall later! please keep in touch... i have skype, facebook, email, twitter, and this amazing blog I do not know how to work!

signing off for the night.
"work hard, play harder"

Shann
#1 on the field, #1 in your heart

2 comments:

  1. #00 on the field, #00 in you heart! bahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - being a big sister has been one of the most amazing things EVER

    ReplyDelete